DoveLewis Veterinary Emergency and Specialty Hospital is a non-profit, AAHA-accredited and VECCS Level 1-certified client focused and teaching hospital in beautiful Portland, Oregon. We are a multi-specialty hospital and have expansion of our specialties and our hospital in our future!
We are currently seeking a residency-trained or boarded Surgeon with a primary interest in a balance of soft-tissue and orthopedic surgery to join our well-established Surgery team.
As a surgeon on our Surgery team, you will be responsible for receiving a diverse load of cases from our 24/7 Emergency Service, referrals from the surrounding veterinary community and internal referrals from Cardiology, Internal Medicine, Radiology and the ICU. You will perform procedures in our three state of the art surgery suites, with assistance from our dedicated surgery support staff and available consults from our specialty services.
Joining our surgery team provides you:
- The ability to operate on a wide variety of soft tissue and orthopedic cases as part of a surgery team with a strong support system. Our surgery technicians include members boarded (VTS) in emergency critical care and anesthesia/analgesia
- Direct professional support from our talented and approachable specialists which includes five criticalists, two internists, a cardiologist and an onsite radiologist, as well as three other surgeons
- The opportunity to help train the next generation of emergency veterinarians. DoveLewis is a teaching hospital with five rotating ECC internship openings, and we promote ongoing learning and teaching at all levels
- Robust and well staffed ER/ICU onsite to assist in pre- and post-op care of your patients
- Unique community and donor run programs and funds available for optimal patient care such as: an on-site donor-run blood bank, Pet Loss Support, Animal Assisted Therapy & Education, Low-Income Assistance Fund, Abused Animals Fund and a Stray and Wildlife Fund
- Sustainability; as our industry changes, smaller, doctor-led community practices are becoming rarer. We are constantly enhancing our model and growth strategy to ensure that the DoveLewis way thrives, keeping our core values and methods intact
- Work collaboratively with a team of passionate surgeons who strive for excellence and share the caseload
- Our 12,000 square foot hospital is equipped with flexible and rigid endoscopy (thoracoscopy/laparoscopy/arthroscopy/cystoscopy), pneumatic and battery driven orthopedic systems, (intraoperative) fluoroscopy, digital radiography, ultrasound and echocardiography, CT scan, and long term ventilatory support
Position benefits include:
- Hiring Bonus
- Relocation Reimbursement
- Competitive Salary
- Vacation and Sick Time, Medical, Dental, Vision, Short-Term and Long-Term Disability, Life Insurance, 403b, FSA
- Paid professional dues and memberships
- Range of hospital provided and external CE opportunities
- Employee pet ward on-site
What we are looking for:
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM or VMD)
- Board certified or residency-trained (board-certification highly preferred)
- An understanding of and passion for a client centered practice
- Ability to share on call emergency shifts, including nights and weekends
- A passion for teaching and an interest in assisting in growing the department
- Any satisfactory equivalent combination of experience and training may substitute for the above.
For more information please contact: Shanna Zongo, Veterinary Recruiter at DoveLewis.